Friday, November 18, 2011

Welcome: My Story and My Blog

I love to write, and more so, I love to write about the things I love. One of the things that I love most is college sports, and I'm sure you will feel my enthusiasm as I write about them. By the title, you might assume that this blog will focus solely on college football, but college football will only serve as the backbone of the blog. I want to feel free to write about other passions like college hockey and college basketball, NCAA rules, and other college sport related stories.

It's funny; I grew up in Boston, which, while a college town, is a barren college sports city. Perhaps the biggest college sport in town and where my love for college sports really derived is hockey. As a kid, I used to go to games at Walter Brown Arena to watch Boston University. My mom is an alumna of BU, and BU games were a cheap, yet exciting alternative to the professional sports. The games were a transformative experience and that's without even getting into the action on the ice.

The passion of the fans, the novelty of the band, and the intimate environment was all new to me. We also attended a few Beanpots which featured the local schools' hockey teams. It was a unique competition that was really awe-inspiring to a young kid.

I've been a sports fan as long as I remember, but I think what I love about sports is the culture around it. Part of why I've always enjoyed going to Fenway is the passion of the fans: being a part of something and rooting for a cause. In many ways, college sports embody those ideals.

Unfortunately for me, I did not realize how important college sports were to me until after I entered college. Furthermore, I didn't realize where the perfect place for me to go was until after I arrived at Michigan. I remember sitting in my dorm room watching #2 Michigan at #1 Ohio State my freshmen year at Case Western Reserve University, absolutely disgusted by the Ohio State fans around me, and rooting for the Wolverines as a result. My rooting for the Wolverines was nothing new, but at the time, I did not realize it. I was unhappy in Ohio. I yearned to be at a school where passion thrived.

My sophomore year, I decided I had had enough; I was going to transfer. However, my focus was still on schools that were academically in par with where I was or wanted to be. While Michigan certainly fit into that category, when I visited in high school, I was turned off by the large campus, specifically the separate engineering campus, as well as the large student population. I did not think it was the place for me.

Moreover, Michigan was far from my first choice of schools. There were other schools that I felt better fit what I was looking for. I have to believe that it was destiny or some sort of act of God that made me end up in Ann Arbor.

When I first stepped onto campus in Ann Arbor, I was inundated with this feeling that I really can't describe; It was just something that hit me. I just knew that this was the place I was meant to be. This would be my new home.

My first time at the Big House was just an inspiring experience. Michigan would lose to Toledo and go onto one of the worst seasons in school history, but the thrill of the Big House transcends wins or losses. As a kid in Belmont, I had sat in front of the TV watching Big Ten football. Moreover, I'd watched Michigan. I'd watched the magnificence that was Charles Woodson, I'd been frustrated by Lloyd Carr's insistence in playing both Tom Brady and Drew Henson, which had derailed a couple of Michigan's seasons, and I had loved Braylon Edwards's ability to change games from the Wide Receiver position. In many ways, my Michigan journey had been realized at the Big House.

I would go onto having other great experiences that revolved around sports. I was a season ticket holder for the Men's basketball in my second year at Michigan. It was fun, but I realized that I wasn't committed enough to go to every game. Part of this was because I was also a season ticket holder for Men's Ice Hockey at Yost Ice Arena. Going to Yost took me back to how I felt as a youngster going to Walter Brown. Yost provided the intimate environment as well as the engrossing fan experience that was missing in my life. As a super senior, going to Yost took priority over my social life. I had become that addicted to the hockey experience.

Before I go on, I must say that this is not a Michigan blog. While I may wax poetically on occasion about Bo Schembechler, Fielding Yost, or Fritz Crisler, I want to make it clear that this is a college sports blog. I will allude to Michigan to make points and Michigan will definitely be the subject of some of my posts, but I want the freedom to write about everything and everyone. I want to write about college sports stories that inspire me and that will include some topics at my alma mater.

As an alumnus, now far away from my university, I feel detached not only from my school, but also from the college environment. I miss it. This blog is something that I want to use to stay in touch with that part of me. It will force me to find something interesting to write about. For example, tomorrow, I plan on visiting some of the watching parties for different schools and documenting that experience. Besides writing about events that occur in college sports, I would also like to have some personal experiences mixed in. I feel like it'll lead to some great experiences for me and as a result, to some interesting things for my reader's to read.

Thank you for reading and I hope you continue to do so as I go Saturday to Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment