Sunday, November 20, 2011

Rivalry Week: An Introduction


Throughout this week, I'd like to write about the different rivalries, a little bit of the history as well as the current state of the rivalry.

Rivalries are what make sports great, and college rivalries are amongst the most intense in all of sport. These rivalries transcend sport. The hatred between schools is often a product of societal differences. The schools compete for students, for states, for pride. Sport is just another venue through which this battle can be waged.

You'll often hear that sport is not war. You walk into a college stadium during rivalry week and tell me that it's not war. You walk around campus in opposing colors on Game Day and tell me there's not a bitter hatred.

In a week full of rivalries, it's important to know how these rivalries arose and why they are so celebrated. They're important to the schools and they're integral to what makes college sports great. Their stories deserve to be chronicled.

That's why I want to write about them. I look forward to exploring them and sharing what I find with you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment